“When the moon hits your eye like a big pizza pie – that’s Amore!”
No joke – Pizza is my love language. My friends think I am joking, but the amount of pizza that makes my heart happy is probably on the scale of “I need help.” When the opportunity came up to go behind the scenes at The Theater Of Illusion and get an insider Conductor to look into creating Silverwood’s perfect pizza – I think I had a world record for tying on my apron strings! I was over the moon thrilled to be getting a look AND getting a try to make a Silverwood Pizza!
With my boys in tow and us chatting about what makes a perfect pizza, we met up with Food and Beverage Operation Manager Matt as he led the way to the kitchen inside TOI. Even before the park opens, the kitchen is busy as they prep and begin what would be a long day full of pizza orders!
Theater Of Illusion is a great place to enjoy the afternoon. You can get out of the heat, be entertained by the famous Norton family, and enjoy a perfect cheesy pizza before you embark on the rest of the day full of rides and shows.
First thing in every kitchen – wash your hands and learn the rules! We were greeted by Amy, who is the Lead for Food & Beverage, and she gave us a full tour of the kitchen and details on how the ovens work and all the prep they do even before the park opens.
Here are a few insider secrets on how Amy and the Silverwood crew create that perfect pizza. Each “pizza” dough is carefully measured, weighed, and pressed for perfection and then carefully baked in the oven to create a pre-cooked dough. On average, Silverwood makes 300 pizzas a day! But the moment of pizza making that made me “oh” out loud was the special butter that is seasoned for the crust. It made my Teenager Ninja Turtle inner-self come out!
The number one thing that was talked about in the kitchen was the Covenant Cheese Cup. There is a long-standing ruling over this cheese cup, and no one wants to cross the crew over at the Pizzeria at Theater Of Illusion. And we learned that the perfect pizza needs a special pizza cutter for those pizza-perfect slices.
If you are a pizza lover like me, check out these fun pizza facts.
- True pizza showed up in Naples, Italy, in the 1600s. Bakers made it on the street and sold it to poor people. They would eat it as they walked around the streets.
- The modern pizza that we know today was created by Neapolitan bakers in the early 1800s. However, the Margherita pizza, which is the most popular pizza in the world, was created by Raffaele Esposito, a Neapolitan pizza maker, in 1889.
- What do you call a pizza addict? Pizzaholics are to be blamed. If you dream of having pizza for your breakfast, lunch, dinner, and all the time, then you can be a pizzaholic (addicted to pizza).
- 350 slices of pizza are eaten each second in the United States.
- Did you know that pizza was not popular in the US until after WWII
- NASA created a 3D printer that makes food, including pizza. This 3D printer can make a pizza in half of the time that the average pizza chef can and has a variety of toppings and sauces, including vodka sauce and burrata cheese.
- October is the National Pizza Month in the US!
Here is a weird fun fact about me…. When my oldest son worked at Silverwood, I would call in order just for pizza…. Or use our Gold Pass and just visit for a slice of Silverwood pizza!
Meet The Conductor
Hello! My name is Jackie. I am married to a handsome handyman, and I’m the proud momma of 5 kids. About 13 years ago, I started my photography business, Jax Creations Photography. A couple of years ago, I started a family website called Wanderful Memories. I use this site to share ways other families can document moments in life through travel and lifestyle. A fun fact about me is that I love to cook/bake for others, and I throw a great dance party in the kitchen (when no one is around to watch my awesome dance moves, of course)! There are many parts of Silverwood that I enjoy, but if I had to narrow it down, it would be riding the Tilt-a-Whirl with my boys. I love to hear them belly laugh! My family enjoys visit Silverwood multiple times during the summer with season passes — it is the perfect way to split up the summer days by visiting the water park or getting their adrenaline going on a roller coaster.